Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Author Interview: Arthur Wooten – Fruit Cocktail

Fruit Cocktail: A NovelWe have a great interview today for our readers. Our interview is with Arthur Wooten the author of Fruit Cocktail (rated 4.8 stars on 10 reviews). A quick book description of Fruit Cocktail: In this freshly squeezed sequel to the critically acclaimed On Picking Fruit, Curtis Jenkins ironically pens the bestselling self-help book, 101 Ways to Collide into Your Gay Soul Mate, while still finding himself single and in the deep end of the dating pool. As Curtis embarks on an adventurous book tour, his party girl mother, Mrs. J., and exasperating best friend, Quinn, help him brave the fickle dating scene while adjusting to his new found fame. But whether he finds true love or not, Curtis does find himself and that’s the best discovery anyone can make. Funny, unpredictable, warm and surprisingly emotional, Fruit Cocktail is, like its feckless hero, ripe for the picking.

Interview with Arthur Wooten:

Congrats on the success of Fruit Cocktail: A Novel, your sequel to On Picking Fruit. I’ve heard you mention that your work is “autobiofictional”. What does that mean?
So many people have asked me if I am “Curtis” the lead character in the two novels. And my honest response is…my work, all my work, is autobiofictional. There’s a little bit of Curtis in me. There would have to be. The type of writing that really touches a reader or makes them laugh is honest writing. And that honesty has to come from within. That being said, I’m also just as much Curtis’ mother Mrs. J., Quinn, his best friend…all of the characters – including Emily-Mae the dog. Some of the dates Curtis goes on are bits and pieces of experiences I’ve had – blended with friend’s stories. But so much of both On Picking Fruit and Fruit Cocktail is just pure fiction.

Why is Curtis an older protagonist?

It’s very rare to read a novel with a gay protagonist, one who is 40 or older. It’s a voice I wanted people to hear. Many of the books center around teenage angst or confused people struggling with their sexuality. There are thousands of us gays out there that are perfectly happy being out and out for years and we have stories to tell. Also, writing for an older character gave me a much richer canvas to draw upon.

Do you have another book coming up?

Since writing Fruit Cocktail, Birthday Pie: A Novel has been published as well as my first children’s picture book, Wise Bear William: A New Beginning. On Valentine’s day, Arthur Wooten’s Shorts, a collection of short stories and letters will be released and in March, Leftovers: A Novel. It’s a wonderfully busy and creative period.

Who are the writers you admire the most?

Playwrights who have inspired me are Eugene O’Neill and Tennessee Williams. More contemporary – Beth Henley.

Any advice for writers wanting to master the art of comedy?

I certainly wouldn’t refer to myself as a “master” but all of the previous authors I mentioned have taught me that comedy is not only based upon truth – but to make it transcend time and location it must be written and acted as seriously a possible. Most people in life, hence most characters in plays, novels, TV or screenplays are at their funniest when they are put into an hysterical situation but take it totally seriously. You’ll see that concept played out beautiful in any I Love Lucy rerun.

What else would you like to say?

So many talented people who want to be where I’m at in my career ask me what should/can I do to make it happen. I believe in the four “P’s”. First you need a good PRODUCT – whether it’s a novel, play, screenplay – or whatever – maybe it’s the next best vacuum cleaner. And then you must have PASSION. You’re going to have to work hard and think outside of the box and be PERSISTENT. But even more importantly, be PROFESSIONAL.

Digital Book Today (Anthony Wessel): Arthur thank you again for a wonderful interview and good luck with your book.

Visit his website: http://www.arthurwooten.com/

Follow Arthur on Twitter @ArthurWooten

No comments:

Post a Comment