Monday, January 9, 2012

Author Interview: Regan Black – Tracking Shadows

Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice)We have a wonderful interview today with award winning author Regan Black as she discusses her book Tracking Shadows which is part of the Shadows of Justice series. Regan has written 17 books (see the entire list) featuring alpha female heroines.

Before we get to her interview, here is a brief description of Tracking Shadows: When your past becomes your future you’ll find yourself Tracking Shadows: In Chicago, Slick Micky is the king of smuggling. Known to deliver anything, anytime, anywhere, he specializes in caffeine and sugar and works in the anonymity of shadows. But recently an old enemy is tired of waiting for Micky’s empire to crumble and has called in the best assassin in the business to take him out. Trina Durham is an assassin with a sterling reputation, thanks to her unique ability to induce deadly hallucinations. When Slick Micky killed her best friend, she left Chicago – forever. She’s back now, unable to resist the perfect opportunity for vengeance. But no one warned her Slick Micky might as well be a shadow. Or that shedding light on the man and his secrets would put both her heart and reputation at risk.

Author inteview with Regan Black

Was there a basis for your story?

Tracking Shadows is book four in the Shadows of Justice series. When I started writing the series way back in 2004 with Justice Incarnate, I didn’t anticipate a book that would feature the caffeine smuggler who was merely a supporting character. But once the idea struck, and once I found his heroine, I absolutely had to write it. Readers were drawn to Slick Micky. I think that’s most likely because he’s the one guy we can rely on so won’t have to quit coffee or chocolate cold turkey in the future. He’s such a vivid, layered character to me and writing the book was a wonderful experience.

To what extent do your characters remind you of yourself or someone you know?

Well, to be fair, I don’t personally know any smugglers or any assassins, either. My characters are rarely modeled on real people. Quirks and traits that make a person stand out will sometimes show up in my characterizations, though. For instance, Trina prefers tea but Micky is partial to coffee. It sounds silly or trivial, but those details bring a character off the page, in my opinion. For a smuggler who deals coffee, it’s sort of an insult that the love of his life prefers tea.

Though I confess, I have killed off someone in a story because they represented someone who irritated the heck out of me in real life. (I change names to protect the innocent and the guilty). That’s one of the best perks of being an author! In general I love to people watch, to study the way people move and talk. (I try not to be so obvious that I get arrested – so far, so good).

Sometimes I take a situation from real life and incorporate some part of the moment into a story. In the case of the world building for Tracking Shadows and the other Shadows of Justice novels, I made caffeine illegal as an extension of the ridiculous government suggestions about dietary guidelines.
When I was writing Justice Incarnate, book one, a person might get shunned if they were caught eating carbs in public.

Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way?

Oh my, yes! Writing the memorial scene when Slick Micky has to give a eulogy for his closest friend was brutal. I cried when I wrote it and I cried every time I went through the edits (not just because editing can be a harsh process).

It dredged up all of the emotion surrounding my grandmother’s memorial service. She was a hero and inspiration in my life and she always instilled in me the belief that a life should be celebrated and honored with a memorial rather than a dark and dirge filled funeral. When the time came for me to speak, I just couldn’t and my husband delivered my message to the mourners while I just held on for dear life.

I tried to bring that same sense to the memorial scene in Tracking Shadows. Micky is full of grief and sorrow, nearly debilitated by it when Trina comes to his aid. With her special ability she helps smooth Micky’s perception of the moment so he can rightfully honor his friend.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

I always advise aspiring writers on two points. First, write! It sounds simple but it’s not. If you’re serious about producing any kind of written work, you must make time for your craft daily (or on a regular schedule). I’m a firm believer that the more you write (with the right support) the better you get at the writing.

Secondly, I always tell writers to learn what your strengths are and use them. If someone hands out the same topic to fifty writers, there will be fifty different responses to that topic.
Everyone is unique, everyone has a skill or talent or perspective that sets them apart. Find what that is for you and then follow it with everything you’ve got.

When I was starting out, an author asked me what I was writing when the words were flowing effortlessly. I admitted it was pretty dark and edgy stuff. She looked me in the eye and said, “Good! Go write that.” I did and that book became Justice Incarnate, my first traditional sale and the beginning of the Shadows of Justice series.

Thanks again for having me here today!

Regan Black writes action packed novels with a paranormal twist so readers can savor a fantastic escape from the daily grind. Raised in the Midwest andCalifornia, she now lives with her family in the South Carolina Lowcountry where the abundance of history and legend fuels her imagination. Experience a Regan Black adventure at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords or your favorite online retailer. You can keep up with Regan at her website: ReganBlack.com, on twitter @ReganBlack and on Facebook.

The Shadows of Justice novels in reading order: Justice Incarnate, Invasion of Justice, Veil of Justice, Tracking Shadows, Shadows to Light. Shadows of Justice short stories include, From the Ashes and Dream Works.

The Matchmaker series (lighthearted paranromal romance) begins with The Matchmaker’s Mark and will continue with two new novels coming late spring of 2012.

The Hobbitville short story saga (geared toward the YA crowd) in reading order: The Pixie Chicks, Hot Spots, Breaking New Ground, The Shadow Stone, Snow Covered Resolutions

Her nonfiction titles include the Adopt A Greyhound Guide and Goal Setting for Writers: Making Revisions Work in Life and Art

Twitter: @ReganBlack
Thank you Regan for a wonderful interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment