Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Author Interview #138: Perfection Unleashed by Jade Kerrion


Perfection Unleashed (Double Helix)Our interview today is with Jade Kerrion, author of the award-winning Perfection Unleashed (science fiction, 4.1 stars, 32 reviews) and its sequels, Perfect Betrayal and Perfect Weapon.
Before we get to the interview, a brief description of the series: His genetic code sourced from the best that humanity offers, Galahad embodies the pinnacle of perfection. When Zara Itani, a mercenary whose abrasive arrogance exceeds her beauty, frees him from his laboratory prison, she offers him the chance to claim everything that had ever been denied him, beginning with his humanity. Perfection cannot be unleashed without repercussions, and Galahad’s freedom shatters Danyael Sabre’s life. An alpha empath, Danyael is rare and coveted, even among the alpha mutants who dominate the Genetic Revolution. He wields the power to heal or kill with a touch, but craves only privacy and solitude—both impossible dreams for the man who was used as Galahad’s physical template.
Galahad and Danyael, two men, one face. One man seeks to embrace destiny, and the other to escape it. The award-winning Double Helix series, consisting of Perfection Unleashed, Perfect Betrayal, and Perfect Weapon, will challenge your notions of perfection and humanity, and lead you in a celebration of courage and compassion. Science fiction, urban fantasy, and action-adventure readers will enjoy this thrilling roller-coaster ride as it twists and turns through a world transformed by the Genetic Revolution.
AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH JADE KERRION
Jade Kerrion unites cutting-edge science and bioethics with fast-paced action in her award-winning Double Helix series. Drawing rave reviews for its originality and vision, and described as “a breakout piece of science fiction,” Perfection Unleashed, and its sequels, Perfect Betrayal and Perfect Weapon, are available in print and e-book through Amazon and other major retailers.
1. When did you start writing, and was there a significant event that prompted you to do so?
I started at the age of thirteen when my school essays were returned to me with a bunch of “A”s scrawled over the top. Teenagers are impressionable. Being much more impressionable than most, and believing that my teachers knew what they were doing, I figured I was destined to be a writer. It’s only taken me tens of thousands of hours of work since then to be halfway decent at writing (and I’m still learning each day), but one has to start somewhere.
2. What inspired you to write Perfection Unleashed?
My undergraduate major from the Johns Hopkins University was in Biology and Philosophy, and I thought it was finally time to make some money off my college degree! On a more serious note, I wanted to write a novel that challenges our definitions of perfection and of humanity (without once mentioning the word “vampire.”) Science has been making one breakthrough after another in the area of genetic engineering, and the future depicted in Perfection Unleashed is more likely than most of us would believe.

3. What’s your book about?
The Genetic Revolution has transformed the world, giving rise to human derivatives—clones, in-vitros, and mutants—that are arguably better than humans. Toss the “perfect” human being into the mix, and the volatile environment explodes. Perfection Unleashed is loaded with fast-paced action, but underlying the novel are questions that society has wrestled with for centuries. What does equality mean in the face of unequal talents? How does society deal with people who are different from the norm? What does “perfection” in a human being really mean?
4. Tell us a little about your main character.
Danyael Sabre has many facets. On the one hand, he is a doctor who works insane hours for little pay at a charity clinic in Brooklyn, New York. On the other hand, he is an alpha empath. He controls emotions and channels pain. Physical and emotional pain fuels his deadly mutant powers; with a touch, he can heal or kill. Craving privacy and solitude, he shields both his mind and emotions, but we catch tantalizing glimpses of his courage and compassion.
Even among the alpha mutants who redefine the boundaries of power in a world transformed by the Genetic Revolution, Danyael is rare and coveted by many who desire to control him and his power. His hard-won normal life is upended when Zara Itani, a mercenary whose abrasive attitude exceeds even her beauty, frees Galahad, the lab-created perfect human being from his laboratory prison. Danyael learns that his genetic code was used as Galahad’s physical template; that kind of news is enough to wreck even the best day…
5. What do you enjoy the most about writing?
The creative process. I write the movie that I see in my mind. It’s amazing to see the words take shape on paper and realize that it’s bringing to life something that had previously only existed for me. My readers have likened my novels to action movies, anime, and graphic novels—that’s a huge compliment. That tells me I actually succeeded in sharing with them the movie in my mind.
6. What was the hardest part about writing your book?
The hardest part was stopping. After multiple rounds of self-editing, several weeks of working with my editor, and several rounds of proofreading, I had to put the book away and say “done.” I think it is entirely possible to edit forever, but at some point, you have to stop and send the book out into the world.
7. Where do you get the inspiration to write?
I think I’m past the stage of needing inspiration; writing is more of a compulsion now. In general, I have a compulsive personality; people like me should never get exposed to alcohol, cigarettes, or recreational drugs—we’re easy prey. Years ago, computer gaming and writing used to go hand-in-hand for me. My characters from my computer games inspired my writing. Since then, however, my characters have taken on a life of their own and thus, I have been freed to happily obsess about them without needing the occasional computer gaming boost to sustain them.
8. Who is your favorite author and why?
Neil Gaiman is pure genius in his storytelling ability.
9. What do you like to do when you are not writing? What is your ultimate luxury?
I love reading, and read widely across genres. The ultimate luxury would be to do nothing! However, I’ve realized that I don’t have the right personality type to do nothing. For example, sunbathing on a lounge chair in front of a swimming pool is agony for me (and for the people watching me.) I twitch, I sit up, switch positions, twitch some more. That said, I would love to spend several hours at a spa, getting pampered from head to toe. Maybe, sometime during those few hours, I’d learn to relax for a few minutes.
10. Is there anything else you’d like to share with our readers?
If you enjoy science fiction, urban fantasy, dystopia, or just a great action-adventure, I hope you’ll consider reading Perfection Unleashed and its sequels, Perfect Betrayal and Perfect Weapon. I love to hear from readers, so feel free to drop me a note via any of my social media links.
Thank you, Anthony, for hosting my interview on Digital Book Today. I really appreciated this opportunity to connect with your readers.
Social media and buy links:
Connect with Jade Kerrion: Blog / Facebook / Twitter
Perfection Unleashed: Amazon / Amazon UK / Smashwords
Perfect Betrayal: Amazon / Amazon UK / Smashwords
Perfect Weapon: Amazon / Amazon UK / Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment