Monday, December 17, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey – What would the response if it had been written by a young, single man?


Dead Man's HandOur guest blog post is by Luke Murphy author of Dead Man’s Hand (4.8 stars, 20 reviews).
This is the latest phenomenon. It seems that this series of novels has taken the world by storm and it’s all people can talk about.
The great thing about E.L. James’ books is that there is no set market. I’ve spoken with middle age mothers, men, and senior citizens who have all read the books and enjoyed them immensely.
I totally understand the attraction. Sex sells. People are naturally curious over this content, want to be a part of the worldwide craze and can be lured in.
Ms. James has become an overnight sensation and is an inspiration to authors all over the world. She took her books from Fan Fiction, to Print-on-Demand, to an ultimate success, selling over 30 million copies and topping the bestsellers charts—a true example of Viral Marketing. Aspiring writers can look up to her and realize that anything is possible.
People have asked me if my upcoming novel is like these books and although I have not personally read the Fifty Shades of Grey books, I have read a lot of the reviews and I have spoken to a lot of people who have.
I can honestly say, “No”, Dead Man’s Hand is nothing like Fifty Shades of Grey.
But I am curious to know: What would the response be to Fifty Shades of Grey had it been written by a young, single man?
Would it be just as accepted?
I’m just wondering. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment