Saturday, February 2, 2013

3 Reasons Why My Cat Is an Incredible Marketer

Royal FlushOur guest blogger is Scott Bartlett author of Royal Flush.

3 Reasons Why My Cat Is an Incredible Marketer

I’ve spent a significant part of my summer promoting my humour novel Royal Flush, and I’m constantly thinking about new ways to do that.
I guess I have self-promotion on the brain, for better or worse. That may be why, when my cat ventured into my room last night and proceeded to wake me multiple times in an attempt to get some attention, all I could think was My Cat Is An Incredible Marketer.
1) Establish a likeable brand
I actually have deep-seated reservations with individuals thinking of their identities as ‘brands’. But if Oliver has indeed been reading books written by the marketing gurus who believe that’s a good idea, then he definitely has the whole brand thing nailed.
Upon entering the community, he established himself as a socially responsible cat who doesn’t ask for much. He has nails, but understands the importance of not using them on institutions the community considers important, such as the living room couch. As a result, the community was generally welcoming about the installation of a scratch post facility near a busy thoroughfare.
Oliver understands waste management, and only makes such deposits in the designated area, where they are disposed of properly. He also quickly saw the value in distinguishing himself from the family dog, whose brand is less nuanced.

2) Know your target audience
Oliver is also, of course, considerably cute, and he seeks to leverage that cuteness to acquire food and attention whenever an opportunity presents itself.
I was the only one home last night, so much of Oliver’s market research was already done. Clearly I was the only demographic available for targeting.

Apparently focus groups responded positively to having their faces pawed repeatedly, and also nudged with a wet, cold nose, because that’s what kept happening to me throughout the night. Much like a consumer will ignore an ad by changing the channel or clicking past it, I attempted to shoo Oliver away. He was persistent, though. Studies show that often people must encounter a product seven times before deciding to buy.

Why won’t you pet me, human?
3) Send your target audience a consistent message, repeatedly
Repetition is the essence of marketing. Our brains retain information best when we encounter it multiple times, which is why it’s recommended that students review their class notes at home.
Oliver must know this about the human brain. His marketing slogan is so memorable and concise that I’ll likely never forget it. In fact, it will probably haunt my dreams, and wake me even when he isn’t present:
“Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow Meow! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!”

Apropos of nothing, here’s a picture of Oliver when he had to wear a cone on his head.
In the end, Oliver’s shrewd marketing campaign worked. I got up this morning, fed him, and petted him.
Tonight, he may not be so lucky. I’ve decided to implement an adblocker. That is, I plan to close my door.

No comments:

Post a Comment