Thursday, April 5, 2012

Interview: Author Kaira Rouda: All The Difference

Our interview today is with award winning author Kaira Rouda as she discusses her latest suspense novel All The Difference. Before we get to the interview here is a brief description of All The Difference: Once again, everything isn’t what it seems in the wonderful suburb of Grandville. All The Difference is the story of three women whose lives become entangled by the choices they make and how, ultimately, one of them turns to murder to achieve her goals.
Roommates Laura and Angie couldn’t be more different. Laura is a local celebrity, the television anchor who is motivated to move out of small-time media markets and on to the big time, no matter the cost. Meanwhile, Angie, a luckless waitress, spends her time waiting for Mr. Right to save her from temporary jobs and a life spent making bad choices. On the other side of town, Ellen abandons her life as a successful fundraiser for that of an isolated housewife in the country estate she shares with her husband, whose affairs become increasingly hard to ignore. When the city’s gossip columnist, Maddie, and restaurant reviewer, Dixon, become involved in the mystery, the unlikely duo stir up more than they intended. But will anyone be able to stop the next murder?
With her signature compassion and wit, Kaira Rouda once again takes readers on an entertaining journey into the heart of women’s lives in suburbia – this time with adultery and murder in the mix.

Interview with Kaira Rouda:

What was unique about the setting of the book and how did it enhance or take away from the story?

The setting for All The Difference is the same as the setting for HERE, HOME, HOPE – the fictive suburb of Grandville. I’m a product of the suburbs and so are my characters. The particular issues that arise in the suburbs – where the grass always seems greener just over the picket fence next door – are fascinating to me. In this case, I wanted to explore the truly dark side of what’s hiding beneath the perfect seasonal wreath.

Here, Home, Hope ended with the reader feeling inspired and probably, creating a Things to Change list like protagonist Kelly. Will they do the same after reading All The Difference?

All The Difference has a few inspirational parts but no, hopefully, you’ll finish the book and feel just a little creepy. The protagonist in All The Difference doesn’t reveal her true identity until the end. I’ve always been a fan of unreliable narrators and suburban mysteries, the type Susan Isaacs writes. One of the early reviewers wrote: Fun, sexy and suspenseful. I think that sums up the book.
What is your method for writing a book? A certain amount of hours every day? A ce
rtain routine? Are you character/story builder or an outliner or some other method?
I’m a non-outliner. Meaning I have a vague idea of a story – and usually a title – and the book flows from there. I try to write every day, but I don’t have a definitive routine. I know I should, but I’m also a mom of four, and I’ve moved a lot over the past three years. Sometimes life gets in the way of a writing routine – but I believe all things in life are fodder for a future book.

How do you get past writers block or distractions like the internet?
I love social media – but I don’t consider it a distraction. I believe social media is foundational for writers who want to connect with readers today. It’s where everything starts and I’ve met some fabulous friends on Facebook and Twitter – and now Pinterest. Please follow me on Twitter and like my Facebook fan page. I’m hosting some fun giveaways to celebrate the release of All The Difference.

Favorite book from childhood.
Robert McCloskey’s Make Way for Ducklings. Favorite book to read to my daughter when she was young:Paperbag Princess. Favorite book to read to all my kids: A Million Chameleons.

What’s on your desk? Can you see your desk? Describe what you see when you look around.
I love this question. My desk is a mess…and ironically, it’s mirrored but you wouldn’t know it. It’s covered with post it notes, to-do lists and stacks of things. I’m deep into edits on my third novel, IN THE MIRROR, and that manuscript and my editor’s notes are consuming one entire corner. My husband and I have been married since 1990 and he’s learned: Love me. Love my piles. I’m the stereotypical messy creative type and I’m so lucky I married a neat freak. We keep each other in balance. Except he’s not allowed to come near my desk!

Follow Kaira on Twitter: @KairaRouda

No comments:

Post a Comment