Thursday, August 2, 2012

Our 100th Author Interview: Lia Fairchild and her book In Search Of Lucy

In Search of Lucy: A NovelAuthor Lia Fairchild self-published her novel, In Search of Lucy, in 2011. Less than one year later the it caught the attention of AmazonEncore, an Amazon Publishing arm. They re-released the book under their imprint early this year in both kindle and paperback, complete with a new cover. Lia is also the author of the mystery series A Hint of Murder. Before we get to the her interview a brief book description: Lucy Lang’s life is spiraling out of control. For years she sacrificed her own needs to care for her half sister and alcoholic mother, only to be abandoned by both. Now, at age 30, Lucy finds herself held back by memories and regret as she struggles to find her own purpose in life. But when her sister needs a kidney transplant, Lucy is the only one who can save her life.
With the help of new friends and a man who won’t give up on her, Lucy sets out on a journey to reunite with her sister and find the answers she so desperately needs. Can she get past her emotions and have a chance at happiness? With its colorful and endearing cast of characters, In Search of Lucy takes readers on a rollercoaster of emotions from sadness and heartache to happiness and hope.

Interview with Lia Fairchild

What was unique about the setting of In Search of Lucy and how did it enhance or take away from the story?
The setting for In Search of Lucy starts in Southern California and ends in Texas. A big part of the book is the road trip that the main characters take from one setting to the next. Travelling with Lucy and her two friends make for interesting and fun scenes where you never know what’s going to happen next. It’s also a time where the characters not only form a bond together but also grow as individuals.
What specific themes did you emphasize throughout the novel? What were you trying to get across to the reader?

The main theme of the story focusses on our past and how to overcome hurt, regret, bad decisions, and unforeseen circumstances. Lucy and her sister, Katie, grew up in an unstable home where Lucy took on the role of sister and mother to Katie. Once Katie took off, Lucy found it difficult to move on after years of sacrifice. Her unresolved issues left her closed off to emotional relationships. There is also a theme of unconditional love. Lucy’s friends care for her though in the beginning she didn’t, and couldn’t, give much in return. And, Lucy and Katie both loved their mother despite her short comings as a mother.
What research did you have to perform to back up your story? Any research which really opened your eyes or gave you new respect for a topic or profession?
Lucy’s sister Katie had diabetes and needed a kidney transplant so I needed to research both the disease and its effects, as well as information about kidney transplants. I learned about the selection process for donors, the operation itself, hospital procedures, and recovery. The internet is vast but I also received feedback from someone who went through the process but didn’t end up having the procedure in the end. It was all fascinating to learn and I believe it really helped readers to feel for Katie and what she was going through.
What is your method for writing a book? A certain amount of hours every day? A certain routine? Are you character/story builder or an outliner or some other method?
I like character driven stories. I want people to connect, on some level, with each person in the story. That’s most important to me. When writing a story, I first start with an idea, which for me is the easy part. I’ve got non-stop flow of ideas in my head. Once I work out the main idea and where the story will ultimately go, then I’ll start writing. I try to write 3-4 times a week. Usually I formulate in my head how I want a particular scene to go. Once I’m comfortable with it, then I head to the computer to get it down. When I’ve got a good start on the story, then I’ll make an outline of important events as well as profiles for each character. I need to make sure that each character is unique and all their most important traits are there for the reader to discover.
How do you get past writers block or distractions like the internet?
As I mentioned before, I have to work things out in my head first. I can’t just sit down at the computer and write. It’s like I’m playing a movie scene in my head and once I’ve played it a few times, making adjustments as needed, then I’m ready to write. The Internet is a big distraction for me. I love to chat with readers, other authors, fans. I’m in several reading and writing groups and often work to help other authors promote their books. I come from a marketing/PR background so I love that side of things. Many authors say they hate marketing, but I’m addicted to networking and meeting new people. I also have a book review website and fan page I maintain on Facebook called Quickie Book Reviews. Here readers share “quickie” book reviews with each other by posting them to the wall. I spend a lot of time making that page fun for them with games, free books, fun pictures, and interesting discussion topics. So, to stick to my writing is a challenge but I have a schedule and work hard to stay with it. If I hit a road block when it’s time to dedicate myself to writing, then I take a few minutes to read an author I love or go for a walk to clear my head.
Favorite book from childhood.
As a very young child my favorite book was Danny and the Dinosaur. Looking back I find that so strange, especially for a girl. When I had my babies, which are now teenagers, I loved revisiting all the Dr. Seuss books and discover all the new books out there. I especially loved reading them the Berenstain Bears series.
What’s on your desk? Can you see your desk? Describe what you see when you look around.
My laptop, printer, pencil sharpener and a couple of piles of paper sit on my desk. Usually I accumulated several pieces of paper with notes on them. If something interesting comes to mind or there’s something important I need to take care of I jot it down. Eventually I combine those lists into one before they start piling up again. I always have at least one phone as well. This family seems to think my desk is the depository for phones once they hang up a call.
What are you currently working on?
I’m very excited about the completion of a thriller called Vigil Annie. The book is set in Detroit and the main character is a kick-ass female vigilante that used to be Detroit PD. Look for that to be available soon. Then, to completely switch gears, I’m working on a hilarious romantic comedy about a magazine editor squaring off against the hot new technical consultant at the magazine.
LINKS:
Get your copy of In Search of Lucy on Amazon
Lia Fairchild Author Fan page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lia.fairchild.author
Quickie Book Reviews on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Quickie.Book.Reviews
Quickie Book Reviews on the web http://www.quickiebookreviews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment