Thursday, April 11, 2013

Author Interview #170: Soul Sisters by Janiera Eldridge



Our interview today is with author Janiera Eldridge.  Her book Soul Sisters is an urban fantasy novel about African-American twin sisters Ani and Dana who have a rather unique secret: one sister is human while the other is a vampire. While the sisters have lived peacefully with each other for many years one fateful night will change both their lives forever. When a drunken man tries to attack Dana (the human sister) Ani (the vampire sister) protects her sister with all of her ferocious power.
However, when the vampire’s leader Donovan finds out about the public display he calls for the sisters to be assassinated for disobedience. Ani and Dana now are in for the fight of their lives to protect each other as well as the lives of their dedicated friends who have joined them on their mission for survival. If Dana and Ani can make it through this time of uncertainty, Ani can take her new place as vampire queen. Soul Sisters is expected to be a trilogy; The book also features a multicultural cast of characters that brings a new edge of chic to the vampire world.

Author Interview with Janiera Eldridge

 1.      How did you develop your title? The title was actually the easiest part of the book. The title Soul Sisters comes from the fact the story is about twin sisters where one is a vampire and one is a human. The title is a little clue about how that came to be.
  • 2. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to walk away with after they read your book? 
Honestly, my book doesn’t really have a message, I wrote it for pure entertainment. One of the main themes of my book though is that loyalty is an amazing thing but it can completely destroy someone’s life as well.
3. How much of the book is realistic and how much is plain fantasy? The book is an urban fantasy so I guess that explains it right there lol. The only part of my book that is truly realistic is the bond between sisters Dana and Ani. Their extremely close and would do anything for each other as twin sisters often do.
4. If you could write your book all over again, would you change anything? The only thing  I would do over Is maybe reveal how Dana and Ani manage to be twins but one  is human and one is a vampire in the first book. I’ve been asked how that is possible a lot and I now feel bad I made people wait to find out. Although I know when they do find out, they’re going to love it!
5. What do you consider the hardest part of writing your book? The first draft was pretty difficult. Sometimes I would stall or get a bad case of writer’s block. The editing process was so much easier than I thought it would be. I got to polish up the book I had worked so hard to write and that was a much better experience.
6.Was there anything you learned while writing your book? I learned that if you really have a passion for writing, your writing will take up a life of its own. Your characters will start doing all sorts of things all by themselves. I thought when writers mentioned this it was myth but, as I wrote I saw my book bloom into something better than I could imagine.

7.What sparked in you the desire to write? I loved writing in high school but never had the time to finish anything. After leaving college because of my Fibromyalgia writing became a way for me to escape from my pain. The more I read the more I was inspired to write and tell my own stories. In a way I’m grateful for the unexpected turn my life took because I love to write so much.
8. Who is your favorite author and why do you enjoy their work so much.? My favorite author isStephanie Meyers. Despite how much negativity surrounds her Twilight books, the women renewed people’s love for reading (me included).  It was just such a wonderful story that though the writing was simple it pulled me in and I could never put it down! Her work really inspired me to write a good story because after all that truly is what reading is all about.
9. What’s going on with you right now? I’m always a freelancer looking for work in the entertainment, beauty, health and book world. I’m spending most of my time right now preparring to attend the 2013  Indie Bookfest, meeting new fans and working on the third book in the Soul Sisters series!
10. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Thank you so much for wanting to read my book!  There are so many wonderful reads out there and I never take for granted that you chose to read my book. Always, happy reading!
Janiera enjoys feeding her book addiction when she not writing. Writing is therapeutic to her during her struggles with Fibromyalgia. Being unable to work a normal 9-5 is what encouraged her to write full time. She is also a book blogger at Beauty and Books where she mixes being a book nerd with keeping things chic. When not reading or writing she is freelance writing in the entertainment industry.When trying to relax she likes a huge yard sale on a Saturday morning, rainy days to read by and nacho cheese is her kryptonite. Soul Sisters is her debut novel.
Feel free to visit her book blog where she loves reviewing books and doing author interview at Books & Beauty- http://janieraeldridge.blogspot.com. She loves feedback and welcomes any questions or comments to her email: prettyhaydengurl@yahoo.com and FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/authorjanieraeldridge
Connect with Janiera on:

No comments:

Post a Comment