Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Author Interview: Giacomo Giammatteo Author of Murder Takes Time

MURDER TAKES TIME (Friendship & Honor)Our interview today is with author Giacomo Giammatteo the author of Murder Takes Time (4.8 stars on 33 reviews). Before we get to the interview a brief book description: There was only one rule in our neighborhood–never break an oath. But oaths are easy to take and damn hard to keep. Now I’m staring at my best friend, lying on the floor in a pool of blood, my bullet in his gut. Where the hell did it go wrong? To understand that you’d have to go back to the beginning, back to when the three of us ruled the neighborhood.

Interview with Giacomo Giammatteo

1. What was unique about the setting of the book and how did it enhance or take away from the story?
The book starts out in Brooklyn, but then it goes back in time to Wilmington, DE, where the main characters grew up. Wilmington is an interesting city—ethnically diverse, yet so much smaller than the typical big NE cities of NY, Philly, Baltimore.
2. What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader?
Friendship & honor are the dominant themes; in fact, the series is called the Friendship & Honor Series. As to what I was trying to get across…nothing people don’t already know. That few things in life are black and white. There are degrees to almost everything, including right and wrong.
3. Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?
Many of the characters were real, or based on real-life people. Some were combinations of people I knew. And I think the predicaments are universal, perhaps exaggerated, but real.
4. How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

Without giving too much away—life happens. This book is more about the things that always happen in life, and that is, things go wrong. Life seldom goes as planned, so the book is about how each one deals with his, or her, own circumstances.
5. In what ways do the events in the books reveal evidence of the author’s world view?
I’m tempted to take the fifth on that one. Let’s just say that I agreed with a lot of the decisions made in the book.
6. Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way? Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?
Yes. I think that anytime you put your soul into a book, part of yourself is on those pages, and it is usually parts you don’t want revealed. That’s tough to do, especially for someone who grew up like I did.
7. Was there a basis for your story? A previous experience? Something else?
A lot of the events in the story were either real, or based on real experiences.
8. What research did you have to perform to back up your story? Any research which really opened your eyes or gave you new respect for a topic or profession?
I dug a little into the world of the police and the detectives, but this is not by any means a police procedural. I don’t want readers coming into this expecting that level of detail regarding the investigation.
9. What is your method for writing a book? A certain amount of hours every day? A certain routine? Are you character/story builder or an outliner or some other method?
I have a business that I run during the day, and I help my wife with our animal sanctuary, which involves feeding and caring for 41 animals, so the only time I get is late at night. As to the method–I consider myself a storyteller, first and foremost, and I base my characters on real people or combinations of real people. The one thing I insist on (with myself) is that I have a clear picture of how the book will end before I start it.
10. How do you get past writers block or distractions like the internet?
I guess I’m lucky. Have never had a problem with either of those.
11. Favorite book from childhood.
Favorite book of all time: The Count of Monte Cristo.
12. What’s on your desk? Can you see your desk? Describe what you see when you look around.
Two computer screens hooked to a MAC, an iPad, two printers, and two large windows overlooking our pond and our animals. It couldn’t be better.
On Amazon: Murder Takes Time
Twitter: @jimgiammatteo
Book Trailer: http://bit.ly/KXdd2g

No comments:

Post a Comment