Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Author Interview: The Wolf’s Moon by Patrick Jones: A 4.4 Star Thriller

The Wolf's MoonOur interview today is with Patrick Jones the author of The Wolf’s Moon a thriller that is rated 4.4 stars on 26 reviews. Before we get to the interview a quick book description: The Wolf’s Moon is an adventure thriller set in the heart of the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. This action-packed thriller tracks a mysterious beast, stalking the innocent people in the town of Maple Hills. The main character, Mark Lansdowne, relentlessly tracks the beast as it stalks the town, only to find out that it has been extinct for literally thousands of years. Mark Lansdowne’s past provides an element of mystery in itself, enabling him to hunt as does the beast. A subtle romantic theme is woven throughout the adventure as Mark Lansdowne pursues the beast at his own peril.

Interview with Patrick Jones

What was unique about the setting of the book and how did it enhance or take away from the story?
Forests have always held a mystery for people. They wonder, never admitting, what is lurking in the shadows. They are brought up from childhood hearing the story of “Little Red Riding Hood” and the “big bad wolf”, then as adults it’s Big Foot or as he’s called around here, “Mo Mo”. People intellectually know of the snakes, sometimes a bear and that the animal will usually leave a person alone…but what about the times the animal attacks? That is what most people see in their minds when they encounter a forest.
What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader?
Loyalty and Love:
The loyalty between Linden and Skruggs: Trusting each other even if it caused their death, never questioning their motives.
True love that Linden has for his deceased wife: Linden made a commitment and took a vow. He loved her completely in life, so her death is only a temporary separation.
Love and friendship do not die.
Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?
For a writer to convince the reader that a character is real, he must believe each and every one of them is real. While one is writing the story he or she lives with each character as though they actually exist. Maybe they are fictional but life experiences, what the writer sees, feels and hears must be the same for them. I think this is true regardless of genre if the writer expects their readers to identify with the characters. Each reader should think of someone they know or have met.
How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

By the time most people reach adulthood, their thoughts and convictions that were formed before their teenage years are the way they will live. Only life-altering events cause change. For example, an alcoholic or drug user coming to terms with the fact that they are destroying their lives and those they claim to love, will seek and be successful with rehab. This is as it should be when writing fiction.
In what ways do the events in the books reveal evidence of the author’s world view?
My personal world is a simple, comfortable place, as my immediate family makes life wonderful. Sandy (my wife) and I like flowers, so we have several gardens around the house. Our house is like one from a fairy tale. At the end of a day, sitting with her on the deck having that last cup of coffee, watching the sun set and the moon rise give me great satisfaction and contentment.
As for the world, there will always be economic problems, political differences and one war worse than the last. Nothing will ever change those facts, but in writing fiction the author can give the readers an escape – and sometimes hope.
Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way? Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?
While the story in itself did not make me feel uncomfortable, I truly and deeply regret the fact that my two closest friends since boyhood who passed away were never able to read one word that I wrote. One would have read each word with gusto, while the other may have waited for the movie. I guess it made me aware that the two people that I most wanted to read the book were not able to. I took for granted the fact that they would always be there for me. Now that they are no longer around, there are things that I will never be able to say to them.
Was there a basis for your story? A previous experience? Something else?
The only basis for writing this story was to please the reader considering the time and money they invested to read the book.
What research did you have to perform to back up your story? Any research which really opened your eyes or gave you a new respect for a topic or profession?
My research came from paleontology sources on the “beast” itself. Talking with wildlife experts and Conservation Agents gave me insights that I never thought about. The staff at the wonderful Wolf Sanctuary in St. Louis County explained so many things that I could have written a book just on what they imparted. I came away with a better understanding.
What is your method for writing a book? A certain amount of hours every day? A certain routine? Are your character/story builder or an outliner or some other method?
Every day I attempt to work from 5 A.M. to around 11:00 A.M. Some days when I’m lucky I get to do just that and once in a while, more. Most of the time, it just doesn’t work like that. Even though there are interruptions, I make notes either on paper or on a voice recorder. Once I tried to outline chapters but never got very far. The story tells itself while I write and it usually surprises even me. As for characters, I may jot down a physical description but that’s about it.
How do you get past writers block or distractions like the internet?
I’ve never really had writers block where words wouldn’t come to me. Sometimes I need to get away and think about the way I want to write something. During those times, I’ll do chores, or listen to classical music. More often than not, the story just tells me what to write.
Favorite book from childhood.
As a kid I read so many books that naming a favorite is hard. One I was not supposed to read was called, “Peck’s Bad Boy”. It seems the kid was much like me and I laughed for hours until I got caught by my Mother. Needless to say, I got the same punishment as Peck’s kid always got; an ass-kicking. I figured out it wasn’t for reading the book, it was for getting caught.
Later, Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer reminded me of my grandfather, so I read each book picturing him. Then there was The Iliad of Homer and Beowulf, in high school.
When other kids at ball practice talked about a television show, I talked about a book that I read.
What’s on your desk? Can you see your desk? Describe what you see when you look around.
On my desk are several pictures of my wife and a “No Farting Zone” sticker a pal gave me as well as the computer monitor and keyboard. There are a few notes to myself and a couple of bills I’ve paid and need to file. My half empty coffee cup and a couple of cigarettes lift in the pack (yes, I do smoke). My desk is in our bedroom and as I look around I see antiques a museum may like. The bed is a brass post bed. My dresser is well over one hundred years old as is her dressing table and stool. Sandy, my wife, calls it “The Parlor”. A nineteenth century whore house owner would be proud of the furnishings.
In the mornings as I work, I can look at the rising sun shedding its light on the field behind the house, warming the cattle.
Everything being equal, the room is a warm comfortable place to write.
Thank you!
-Patrick Jones
Company Name = The Linden Chronicles, LLC
***Book Trailer***

No comments:

Post a Comment